Great Britain deliver blow to White Sox - ISF women

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Sep 1 07:32:43 EDT 2006

From:  Vance <vanf(at)ihug.co.nz>

Subject:  Great Britain deliver blow to White Sox

Great Britain deliver blow to White Sox
Friday September 1st 2006

The New Zealand Community Trust White Sox have seen their play
offchances take a dive at the 2006 Women’s Softball World Championshipstoday
on the back of a 2-1 loss against Great Britain.

Going into the match up with Great Britain the White Sox were
well awareof the importance of a victory in regard to keeping
their playoff chancesalive but they couldn’t convert that into
a win in Beijing, China today.

It a tight game the fatal blow for the White Sox came in the
final inningwhen the New Zealand team were three outs away from
victory.

In the bottom of the seventh inning with New Zealand holding
a one runadvantage Great Britain scored two runs to win the game.
New Zealand’sonly run in the game came in the fourth inning when
Katrina Stockfordscored on a hit by Melanie Hulme.

After the game White Sox coach Mike Walsh reflected on the team’s
lack ofhitting which has been an issue for the side for the whole
tournament.Against Great Britain today the White Sox managed
just two hits in thegame.

"We played the best we could. We have had problems with hitting
thewhole week but the loss still hurts. They players feel very
low now, andthe tournament is over for us,"
said Walsh.

 For New Zealand Ali Arnold was on the mound for the full game
andpitched well giving up five hits and one walk while taking
sixstrikeouts.

"Ali had a good game but for that last inning. We should have
scoredmore runs for her, we need better hitting skills," said
coachWalsh.

The White Sox have one more game to play at the world championshipstomorrow
afternoon against DPR Korea at 2pm (NZ time).

In other results from the penultimate day of round robin play
Canadadefeated South Africa 12-0, Italy beat DPR Korea 1-0 and
Netherlandsrecorded a forfeit 7-0 win over Colombia.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
* mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
*mailto:snz at softball.org.nz