Softball Canada - Canada Moves to 5-1 at XI ISF World Championships - ISF women

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Sep 1 11:21:07 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Softball Canada - Canada Moves to 5-1 at XI ISF World
Championships

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 1, 2006

Canada Moves to 5-1 at XI ISF World Championships

(Beijing, China) - Canada earned their fourth shut out of the
XI ISF World Championships defeating South Africa 12-0 to improve
their record to five wins and one loss.

Backed by great pitching, Canada strung together 14 hits, an
early lead and a two-run homerun by Alison Bradley (Pinkerton,
ON) to defeat South Africa 12-0.  The game was called in the
fifth inning due to the "run rule".  "Five and one, we can't
ask for much more right now" stated Bradley.  "Tomorrow [against
China] is the important game that we need to take care of."

Kaila Holtz (North Vancouver, BC) went the distance and threw
a no hitter for Canada.  Holtz struck out 11 batters and was
one walk away from a perfect game.  "Tamara Howren called a great
game" she said.  "She helped me work through some things today.
 It was good preparation for tomorrow and the weekend playoff
round."

Melanie Matthews continued to be strong for Canada going 3 for
3 at the plate.  Matthews managed two doubles and drove in two
Canadian runs.

"We took care of both halves of the inning today" stated Lori
Sippel, Head Coach of the Senior Women's National Team.  "The
players accepted the challenge offensively.  Holtz and Howren
set the standard defensively with a no hit shutout."

"We will take the afternoon off to relax and get away from the
field" added Sippel.  "Tonight we will prepare for China."

Canada (5-1) will now face the Host, China (5-1) in their last
round robin game.  The game versus China will be Canada's most
important game of the tournament as it will determine the final
standings in Pool A.

For complete statistical information, please visit www.softball.ca.
 For photos of the game, please visit www.2006softball.org.

For more information, please contact