USA secures top spot in Pool A with 2-0 win over China - ISF women

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Sep 1 12:54:25 EDT 2006

From:  "Holly Krivokapich" <hollyk(at)softball.org>

Subject:  USA secures top spot in Pool A with 2-0 win over China

USA secures top spot in Pool A with 2-0 winover China

Beijing, China---Withover 10,000 fans packed into Fengtai Stadium,
the USA Softball Women’sNational Team defeated host China2-0,
to secure the top spot in Pool A with one game remaining in pool
play ofthe XI ISF World Championships. Cat Osterman (HoustonTexas),
who has become the go to pitcher forthe USA, picked up her thirdwin
in six games to lead the USAto a perfect 6-0 record in pool play
while China fell to 5-1.

The USAwho scored 10 runs in the first inning last month against
China at the II World Cup ofSoftball, settled for only one run
in the first inning tonight but that wouldbe enough. Caitlin
Lowe (Tustin Calif.) led off with an infieldsingle and eventually
scored on a wild pitch that shattered the glass behindhome plate
and delayed the game 30 minutes.

China’s Zhou Yi led off the bottom ofthe first with an infield
single but was picked off first base by USA catcher Stacey Nuveman
(La Verne, Calif.to end any possible scoring threat.

Andrea Duran (SelmaCalif.) led off the second with a double toright
field and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Tairia Flowers
(Tucson, Ariz.) but wasleft stranded when Lovieanne Jung (Fountain
ValleyCalif.) struckout and Laura Berg (Santa Fe Springs, Calif.grounded
out to second.

China’s Lu Yi led off the bottom of thesecond with a triple down
the right field line, the only extra base hit allowedby the U.S.pitching
staff in six games. Osterman stepped up her game getting Jiang
Xin togroundout to shortstop and retiring the next two batters
on strikeouts.

Both teams remained hitless until the Red,White and Blue got
things going in the top of the sixth inning. Jessica Mendoza(Camarillo,
Calif.) led off the inning with a single toright field and Nuveman
reached on a fielding error by the third baseman. Aftera pitching
change, Duran singled to left center to plate Mendoza for the
final run of the game.

In the bottom of the seventh with the allof the fans on their
feet trying to will their team to a come back, Ostermanwas credited
with the final three outs as she fielded a grounder back to her,snagged
a line drive back up the middle and struck out the final batter.

“It was a very good ball game. Catpitched a good game, throwing
a shutout, and we put some runs on the board.Tonight was just
a great fast pitch game at the highest level,” said headcoach
Mike Candrea of his team’s victory. “We had someopportunities
tonight that we didn’t capitalize on but overall we had agood
performance.”

The USAwill close out pool play on Saturday when they face South
Africa at 2:30 a.m. CT. Nomatter the outcome of tomorrow’s game
the USAwill face Australiain the first round of the playoffs
at 10 p.m. CT on Saturday.

Holly Krivokapich

Assistant Director of Communications

ASA/USA Softball