Black Sox pitcher Marty Grant steps off the mound

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Fri Sep 15 07:44:02 EDT 2006

From:  Vance <vanf(AT)ihug.co.nz>

Subject:  Black Sox pitcher Marty Grant steps off the mound

Black Sox pitcher Marty Grant steps off the mound
Friday September 15th 2006

New Zealand Community Trust Black Sox pitcher Marty Grant has
announcedhis playing retirement today from all levels of softball
after a lifetimein the game.

Growing up in Nelson and idolising the efforts of his older brother
Rickon the pitching mound, softball has always been part of life
for the now40-year-old Marty.

After such a long and distinguished career that includes three
worldchampionship gold medals, Pacific Cup and Commonwealth Series
titles andcountless club and provincial victories with Poneke
Kilbirnie andWellington, Grant says it is very hard to walk away
but he believes nowis the right time.

“After last season I had some time off in winter and I have decided
notto start another season. It is time to do other things, it
is time tolive a regular life and spend time with my family and
focus on work,”said Grant.

Two years ago following the 2003/04 playing season Grant announced
hisretirement but changed his mind six months later and was back
for thestart of the new season. The Nelson based Grant says he
came out ofretirement two years ago because he had unfinished
business but thatwon’t be happening this time around.

In 2004 the NZCT Black Sox claimed their third consecutive world
title infront of a home crowd in Christchurch. That was to have
been a fittingfinale for Grant but fate intervened and just two
days out from the startof the tournament he suffered an Achilles
tendon injury and didn’t pitcha ball in the championship.

Instead of limping out of his international softball career Grant
wantedto go out winning and that is what he did. Grant pitched
the Black Sox tovictory in the inaugural Pacific Cup Series in
2005 and he was also onthe mound earlier this year when New Zealand
won gold at the CommonwealthSeries in Australia.
“I wanted the opportunity to finish on my own terms playing the
game andbeing successful. When we won the Commonwealth title
in Australia Ithought that might be my last game for the Black
Sox,” said Grant.
Grant has been a force on the international softball scene since
hisdebut for New Zealand in 1990 on tour in Canada against New
WestminsterRegents. Since then he has gone on to play at four
world championshipswhere he pitched New Zealand to victory in
every game he played.Throughout his career for the Black Sox
Grant was the man in the middlefor 70 victories and just eight
losses.

“Playing at the highest level is a huge commitment. The Black
Sox are ahard team to walk away from and I will miss all my friends
and thechallenges that go along with training, being part of
the team has beenan absolute pleasure.”

“The opportunity to play and represent my country is something
I havebeen very proud of. When I was a kid I always had aspirations
ofrepresenting New Zealand but I never thought it would happen.
 Ihave watched a lot of great softball and met some great people,”
saidgrant.

When Grant came out of retirement in 2004 he was intending to
carry onthrough to the 2009 World Championships but it has proved
to be a bridgetoo far because as he says it is still a long way
off.

Reflecting on his playing career Grant says there have been manyhighlights
including three world championship gold medals but he says hisproudest
moment came in 2002 when he played for the Black Sox in his hometown
of Nelson.

NZCT Black Sox coach Eddie Kohlhase says the absence of Grant
in futureteams will leave a hole in the side while also giving
an opportunity toother pitchers in the country.

“Marty was a world class pitcher and in the last decade I believe
he wasthe best pitcher in the world. He brought a huge talent
to the diamondalong with desire and a great passion for playing
for NewZealand.”

“Marty has been the number one pitcher in the Black Sox and that
wouldhave still been the case if he fronted up this season. We
have some youngguys we are bringing on who we have been slowly
introducing to theinternational level so this is an opportunity
for those athletes,” saidKohlhase.

While Grant may now have hung up his cleats as a player he will
not belost to the game as he will continue to share his knowledge
andexperience as coach of the Nelson Boy’s College team.

And without the demanding training and playing schedules required
of atop international softball player Grant will now have more
time todedicate to his wife Abbie and children Keenen and Cooper.

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
* mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
*mailto:snz at softball.org.nz