Chance to shine for White Sox trialists

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Thu Dec 7 09:11:48 EST 2006

From:  Vance <vanf(at)ihug.co.nz>

Subject:  Chance to shine for White Sox trialists

Chance to shine for White Sox trialists
Thursday December 7th 2006

Canterbury Foundation Park in Christchurch will see the dawn
of a new erain women’s softball in New Zealand this weekend when
new national coachDean Rice takes up the reigns.

Rice has selected 19 players in a trial team to contest the Jefferies
Cupthe South Island Men’s Provincial tournament. Rice is using
thetournament as a trial to assist in the selection process before
namingthe New Zealand Community Trust White Sox team next month
to travel toChinese Taipei in February to contest the Asia/Oceania
Olympic Qualifier.

While it may be his first outing as NZCT White Sox head coach
Rice sayshe is excited by the challenge ahead and the decision
to enter the men’sside of the tournament was a deliberate ploy
to really test the playerson trial.

“We are raising the stakes a bit because we are going to be playingagainst
men but what we are trying to do is raise the standard of balland
put the girls under pressure against themselves and the oppositionand
see who can perform. The men won’t want to lose so our players
aregoing to have to focus and prepare and concentrate because
if they don’tthey are going to be shown up,” said Rice.

The 19 person trial squad goes into camp in Christchurch on Friday
givingRice one day to introduce the players to his style of game
and explainwhat he is looking for.

“There are a number of exercises and game situations that I want
theplayers to perform on the Friday and over the following two
days. Underthe game environment I want to see the players who
can stand up underpressure.

There are seven team entered in the Jefferies Cup including the
NZCTWhite Sox trial team. All teams will complete a full round
robin and playeach other once, there will not be a final so the
team will the bestrecord after round robin play will take out
the tournament. As guestsover the weekend the NZCT White Sox
trial team is not eligible to win inthe tournament.

As well as the Jefferies Cup tournament this weekend Rice says
he willalso be watching the form of key players at the National
Provincial Cuptournament to be played in early January.

“What I am trying to do is give every player every chance to
force theirway into the team. I will use the NPC as a trial as
well and look atplayers in a tournament environment,” said Rice.

The Jefferies Cup tournament get underway on Saturday and runs
over theweekend in conjunction with the Jubilee Cup which is
the women’s SouthIsland Provincial tournament.

NZCT White Sox trial squad:
Pitchers - Michelle Kingi (Auckland), Michal Tangaroa (North
Harbour),Ali Arnold (Canterbury).
Catchers - Jackie Smith (North Harbour), Carmelle Sorensen(Canterbury).
Infield - Fiona Timu (North Harbour), Tianna Araeiiti (Southland),
LisaHau (North Harbour), Casey Roper (Auckland), Liana Conder
(Wanganui),Shirley Povey (Hutt Valley), Kiri Shaw (Hutt Valley).
Outfield - Melanie Hulme (Canterbury), Nardia Mauriohooho (Hutt
Valley),Ngamoko Hiku (North Harbour), Brooke Lockhart (Canterbury),
Amelia Rika(Auckland), Brooke Cutting (Wellington).
Utility - Sheree Cartwright (Hutt Valley).

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
* mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
*mailto:snz at softball.org.nz