Kaila Holtz Retires From the National Team

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Jan 17 23:11:56 EST 2007

From:  <fanzone(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Kaila Holtz Retires From the National Team Program

(Ottawa, ON) - After 6 years of international competition, Canadian
veteran pitcher Kaila Holtz has retired from Softball Canada's
National Team Program.

A leader on and off of the field, Holtz will put aside her softball
career to focus on her life and education outside of softball.
In her six years of international competition, Holtz is most
renowned for helping Canada capture a silver medal at the 2003
Pan American Games, a fifth place finish at the 2004 Olympic
Games and most recently helping Canada qualify for the 2008 Olympic
Games taking place in Beijing, China.

"After six years of international competition, I would like to
extend my sincere thanks and appreciation to Team Canada as I
prepare to focus on my education and life beyond softball. I
will forever cherish the memories and friends I made while fulfilling
my childhood dream of competing under the Canadian flag" stated
Holtz. "Their support, and that of my family, has made me the
player and person I am today. It was my desire to help Team Canada
compete for a medal in 2008, and my inability to do so is a source
of great regret. I look forward to cheering the team on - in
Beijing and beyond, and I look forward to finishing my Master's
degree and beginning the next chapter in my life."

"To represent your country, high levels of discipline, purpose
and passion are required and Kaila found a way to not only have
enough to become an Olympian but to pursue her academic goals
and teach the game to others as well. In doing all of this Kaila
has indeed shown us all that the 25 hour day does exist, that
love of country and of this great game fuels a desire that can
surprise even yourself, and being your "best self" means being
true to self" stated Lori Sippel, head coach of the Senior Women's
National Team Program. "On behalf of the National Team staff
and players and the former National Team players that you so
respectfully appreciated, I want to thank Kaila for her tremendous
contribution to the National Team. We all wish you well in all
that your future brings."

-SC-

   fastball at pmihrm.com