Canada suffers first loss at Junior Women’s World Championships

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Mon Jun 25 09:29:13 EDT 2007

From:  Gilles LeBlanc <gleblanc at magma.ca>

Subject:  Canada suffers first loss at Junior Women’s World
Championships

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 23, 2007

Canada suffers first loss at Junior Women’s World Championships

(Enschede, Netherlands) – The Canadian Junior Women’s National
Team had their chances but ended up on the short end of a 5-1
extra inning loss to the heavily favoured United States. The
teams battled to a 1-1 tie after seven innings and went to the
international tie breaker rule. The Americans managed to spray
out three hits with a couple of walks to score four runs to give
them a 5-1 lead. Canada managed a lead off walk in the bottom
of the inning but could only manage three infield outs as the
USA closed the game out.

Canada opened the scoring in the second inning when captain Carly
Moir (White Rock, BC) lined a double to left centre field. Stephanie
LeClair (Kitchener, ON) followed with a single to left field
and Moir scored to give Canada a 1-0 lead.

The United States finally got on the board in the fifth inning
after Canadian pitcher Leah McIntosh (Whitby, ON) had not allowed
a hit to the Americans after the first four innings. The Americans
got their first hit, a leadoff single to centre field, and sacrificed
that runner to second. McIntosh struck out the next batter, but
with two out the United States tied the game on an opposite field
single that fell in front of LeClair.

Canada kept the pressure on in their half of the fifth, moving
runners to second and third with only one out. However, the American
pitcher struck out the next two batters to escape the inning.

Canada’s Robyn Draper (Brampton, ON) led off the bottom of
the seventh with an infield single off the pitcher’s glove
but was picked off at first after a missed bunt attempt, and
the Canadian rally was cut short.

After seven innings, the International Tie-Breaker Rule came
into effect, as each team started the inning with a runner on
second base. USA loaded the bases in their half of the inning
before the Canadian pitcher walked in the go-ahead run. The Americans
would then clear the bases with a double to take a 5-1 lead and
put the game away.

Despite the loss, the Canadian players felt honoured to represent
their country.

“When I see the name written across the front of our jerseys,
hear our anthem, and step on the field, I then realize how incredible
this opportunity is” stated Leah McIntosh. “Today, we went
out there like any other game and played well. We came together
as a team and have made our mark.”

“The idea of being Team Canada and just having the opportunity
to represent my country is amazing!” added Jenna Caira. “It’s
something I’ve been waiting for my whole life and it’s like
a dream come true.”

 “Today was a great game had by all” said Head Coach Mark
Sanderson. “We continue to grow and build as a team and that’s
what we want to see.”

Canada will face Argentina tomorrow at 2:00pm (ET). The game
can be seen via webcam feeds at Softball Canada’s website (www.softball.ca).

-SC-

For more information, please contact:

Gilles LeBlanc

Sport/Recreation Management Intern

MBA in Sport and Recreation Management

University of New Brunswick

Softball Canada

Coordinator, Marketing and Communications

gleblanc(at)softball.ca

613-523-3386 ext 3105

   fastball at pmihrm.com