Canada continues to win at the Canada Cup

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Wed Jul 4 10:51:17 EDT 2007

From:  "Gilles Leblanc" <gleblanc(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Canada continues to win at the Canada Cup

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 4th, 2007

Canada continues to win at the Canada Cup

(Surrey, BC) – Canada continued its dominance at the Canada Cup
in Softball City, BC after winning its fourth straight game by
run rule. After falling behind early, the Canadians stormed back
quickly to defeat the Georgia Wilson Selects by a score of 8-1
after five innings.

Georgia opened the scoring in the top of the first inning, taking
advantage of a Canadian error and a hit to bring home the first
run of the game on an RBI groundout. However, Canada immediately
replied in the bottom half of the inning by scoring five runs
of their own, two of them on Selects errors. Ashley Van Boxmeer
(Orange, California) hit a two-out double with the bases loaded
to clear the basepaths and push the score to 5-1.

Canada added single runs in the second, third and fifth innings
to enforce the run rule. Sheena Lawrick (Calgary, AB) and Noemie
Marin (Acton-Vale, QC) contributed two hits each to the offensive
effort.

“We are really trying to take our offense to another level and
making adjustments in the box is the first step” says Head Coach
Lori Sippel. “I felt that the team did a nice job competing at
the plate and adjusted well to the three pitchers faced. Defensively,
Dione (Meier) and Tamra (Howren) settled in and finished strong.
“

In five innings of work, starting pitcher Dione Meier (Saskatoon,
SK) gave up just two hits while striking out eight Georgia Wilson
Select players. One of the two hits she allowed was off the bat
of Canadian Universiade Team member Jennifer Yee, who is playing
for Georgia in this year’s event.

Canada (4-0) takes on Venezuela (2-2) on Wednesday night at 6:30
pm at Softball City in Surrey BC. Venezuela is one of the teams
that will compete in the softball tournament at the 2007 Pan
American Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil later this month, from
July 23rd to 29th.

-SC-

For more information, please contact:

Gilles LeBlanc

Sport/Recreation Management Intern

MBA in Sport and Recreation Management

University of New Brunswick

Softball Canada

Coordinator, Marketing and Communications

gleblanc(at)softball.ca

(613) 523-3386 ext 3105

   fastball at pmihrm.com