FW: DURHAM COLLEGE STUDENT-ATHLETES EARN NATIONAL AWARD

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Mon Jun 21 10:31:51 EDT 2010

Durham Lords Media Release
Monday, June 21, 2010

Durham College student-athletes earn national award

CHARLOTTETOWN - Durham College student-athletes have been honoured
for their spirit of community service, having been recognized
by the Canadian Colleges Athletic Association (CCAA) as the recipients
of the 2010 Community Service Award. The award was presented
at the national body’s general meetings in Charlottetown, Prince
Edward Island.

"We are very proud of our involvement in the community," said
Durham College athletic Director Ken Babcock. "This award shows
how our student-athletes at Durham College strive for success
in the classroom, in their respective sports while making a difference
in the community in which they live in."

Durham College varsity teams strive to be the best in athletics
and academics having established themselves with championship
calibre programs and high graduation rates. The teams have also
made a strong commitment to the local community through their
involvement. The athletic department encourages community initiatives,
providing a great experience for the athletes as well as lending
a helping hand to the neighbourhood in which they live in.

Under the “Lord’s Care” program, the Oshawa athletic department
was involved in a variety of charitable components including
the Hoops for Haiti Program, Movember: Fight Against Prostate
Cancer, DC Women’s Basketball Toys for Sick Kids fundraiser,
Optimist Club Christmas Hamper Drive and Durham College Thinks
Pink campaign.

On the community service front, student-athletes also participated
in the college’s School is Cool Elementary School Program, Going
to Gym Classes with the Durham Lords, Durham College Kids Club
and Hoops with the Durham Lords/Ontario Shores Mental Health
Clinic to highlight some of the initiatives.

This marks the first time that a college from Ontario has won
the CCAA community service award.

“We are pleased to see such an active involvement in the Oshawa
community from the Durham Lords intercollegiate program,” said
Blair Webster, OCAA Executive Director. “Enhancing the experience
for our student-athletes is an integral part of the development
of our players. It is great to see them collectively giving back
to worthy causes and building a strong local connection.”

Durham College student-athletes are community leaders, making
an impact in the Durham Region. Durham College athletes, coaches
and staff believe in; “Do Something Great.” Everyone involved
with the program is passionate about that philosophy, embracing
their responsibility as community role models.

This is the second time in two years Durham College student-athletes
have won a national award, as they received the SIRC/CCAA Academic
All Canadian Recognition Award for having the most SIRC-CCAA
Academic All Canadian Award recipients any institution across
the country in 2009.

The CCAA Community Service Award is designed to recognize an
institution that has developed a successful community relations
program.

The Canadian Colleges Athletic Association is a national sport
organization that enriches the lives of student-athletes through
intercollegiate competition.

Previous CCAA Community Service Award Winners
2000 - Augustana University College
2001 - University College of the Cariboo
2002 – Not Awarded
2003 - Univ. of Northern British Columbia
2004 – SAIT
2005 - University of New Brunswick (St. John)
2006 - Grande Prairie Regional College
2007 – SAIT
2008 – NAIT
2009 - Thompson Rivers University
2010 – Durham College

- 30 -

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Scott Dennis
Sports Information and Marketing Coordinator
Durham College and UOIT Athletics
905.721.2000 Ext. 2784 (P)
905.721.3117 (F)
scott.dennis at dc-uoit.ca