Canada bounces back

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Mon Jun 28 22:39:16 EDT 2010

ISF XII Women's World Championship

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 28, 2010

Canada bounces back with win at World Softball Championship

(Caracas, Venezuela) After a tough 2-1 loss to Japan on Sunday
afternoon, the Canadian Women's National Team bounced back in
a big way by shutting out South Africa by a score of 12-0 through
four innings due to the run-ahead rule. The win improves Canada's
record to 5-1 with one preliminary round game remaining against
the Netherlands (4-2) at 7:30pm EDT on Tuesday. A win would guarantee
second place in Pool A for Canada.

The Canadian bats wasted no time to get going, scoring eight
runs in the bottom half of the first. Melanie Matthews (Surrey,
BC) led off with a single, and later scored on a double to right
field by Jenn Yee (North Delta, BC). Sheena Lawrick (Calgary,
Alberta) and Jen Salling (Port Coquitlam, BC) each cracked singles,
pushing Yee in to score. After a walk to Kaleigh Rafter (Guelph,
ON) loaded the bases, Jill Russell (London, ON) then proceeded
to push two runs in to score with a double to extend the lead
to 4-0 with only one out. A pitching change seemed to spark South
Africa as the next hitter struck out, but that only temporarily
stopped the bleeding as the next hitter, Evelyne Pare (Ile-Perrot,
QC) hit an infield single to score Rafter before Melanie Matthews
cracked a three-run homerun to centerfield to increase the lead
to 8-0.

Canada then added four more runs in the second, highlighted by
a solo homerun by Jenn Yee, who connected with her fourth of
the tournament.

Tina Andreana (Oakville, ON) made her first career start in the
pitcher's circle for Canada, and dominated South Africa by allowing
only one hit and striking out two in four innings of work. At
the plate, Melanie Matthews, Jenn Yee, Sheena Lawrick, Jen Salling
and Evelyne Pare all contributed two hits, while Jill Russell
and Heather Ebert (Rosthern, SK) also added one hit apiece to
round out Canada 12-hit attack.

'We will continue to do our job on the field of play' stated
Team Canada Head Coach Mark Smith. 'We will put the emphasis
on teamwork, as I believe that all of our players have responded
well at this World Championship'

In other action on Monday, Australia shut down New Zealand 10-0,
Cuba blanked Argentina 5-0, the United States beat the Dominican
Republic 10-1, Chinese Taipei doubled the Netherlands 6-3, China
defeated the Czech Republic 8-1, Japan remained perfect with
a 7-0 win over Great Britain, and Venezuela shut out Botswana
10-0.

Canada 12 vs. South Africa 0: Box Score

-SC-

For more information, please contact: