[Alsfastball] AUSSIE SPIRIT DEFEAT WORLD NO. 4 CHINA

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Mon Jul 5 01:10:15 EDT 2004

From: Kylie Thomson <Kylie.Thomson at ausport.gov.au>
Subject: MR - AUSSIE SPIRIT DEFEAT WORLD NO. 4 CHINA
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:04:54 +1000

MEDIA RELEASE
Monday, 5 July 2004
Vancouver, Canada

  AUSSIE SPIRIT DEFEAT WORLD NO. 4 CHINA IN NINE-INNING EPIC

Aussie Spirit, the Australian women’s softball team claimed a hard-fought
victory on day two of the prestigious Canada Cup, 1-0 win over world no. 4,
China.

Fresh from their 10-0 demolition of club team Schutt Hurricanes yesterday,
Aussie Spirit returned to the diamond today eager to post their second win
on the scoreboard.

In a game worthy of its pre-Olympic status, only five hits were registered
over the regulation seven innings with Stacey Porter, Marissa Carpadios and
Fiona Crawford combining for Australia.  Dual Olympian (1996 & 2000) Brooke
Wilkins opened the pitching for Australia with only two hits and six
strikeouts over six innings.  She was relieved in the bottom of the seventh
by fellow dual Olympian, Melanie Roche.

With no score at the end of the seventh, the game went into extra inning
tie-break.  Aussie Spirit broke the deadlock in the top of the ninth when a
single to Simmone Morrow advanced tie-break runner, Kerry Wyborn to third
base, who scored the winning run off a wild pitch.

Head Coach Simon Roskvist said “We had chances early, but couldn’t advance
the runners, however we scored when we needed to in front of a huge crowd. “

The win takes Aussie Spirit to two wins from two games played.  They will
return to the diamond tomorrow to face American club team, Washington Blast.

Aussie Spirit have enjoyed a long and fruitful relationship with the Canada
Cup and look to continue their love affair with the annual international
event that has netted five grand final appearances (1998 – 2001, 2003) and
two gold medals (1998, 2000).

For more information contact: Kylie Thomson on ph: 07 3357 1577 or 0419 709
588.

Kylie Thomson
High Performance Manager
Softball Australia