[Alsfastball] If Monkton Punched Fedlock, It Was With A Velvet Glove

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Mon Jul 5 15:11:35 EDT 2004

From: PeterJPorcelli at aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:59:40 EDT
Subject:  If Monkton Punched Fedlock, It Was With A Velvet Glove

                                          If Monkton Punched Fedlock, It
Was With A Velvet Glove

Review should not be
overshadowed by Final Rankings
                                                 Calgary Diamonds Review

      The Calgary Diamonds went into Monkton looking to blow the doors off
of both County As well as the Defending World Champion Broken Bow Spirit,
peak way too early as a team, go into the ISC overconfident and blow the
opportunity to win the World Tournament. It did not quite happen that way.
We got beat by the World Champs in nine innings and, as a result, never got
a chance to eat up County Materials.

      Problem is, only two teams out of eight even had a winning record
before the playoffs and there was some tight maneuvering that frankly, only
makes Heflin and County look good for the ranking committee. This weekend,
County Materials looked like the best in the World, but John Becker was not
there and Tim Lyon was a pinch runner!

      So when my good friend, Mike Groves goes as far as to say his team
was sucker punched by Monkton, I gotta think that is the fear of being
unfairly ranked too low that is talking more than true criticism for the
Tourney and the Committee, and even those rules.

     So first things first. This is Calgary’s spin: We lost three one–run
games and took the world champs to nine in an elimination game before
falling.  We also got the short end of a decision that I am sure the
Monkton committee will fix next go ‘round. But none of that should affect
the rankings, the Diamonds are a top World Title Contender and I am sure
the final rankings for seeding in the ISC will reflect that.

      Fedlock is a Top Ten World Title Contender and I doubt that they will
slip in the polls either. That is my point. Mike knows as well as I that
the Monkton Folks have set a new bar for top contending tournaments. That
is what should be understood, not what technicality got them eliminated
because all the remaining teams other than County in the round robin had
1-2 records. Same with the Diamonds, side, only one team with more wins
than losses. Anything can happen in a short series, Anything! Mike, the
twelve geniuses that hold your ranking in your hands are not going to be
fooled!

      What I think is important, is that the drive from the airport
reminded you that if you were not involved in ball, you might never have
seen the scenery and rolling hills leading to Monkton that I did. Once you
hit there you knew you were in farm country, no smog, just smiling faces.

      No bossy parking fuehrer tried to jump in front of your car to stop
you from parking in a cozy spot, they led you to the best there was, not
twenty feet from the dugouts (and beer tent) to park! I usually have two
arguments before I see the field with other “volunteers” at other
tournaments. You mean they really save the best parking for the teams???
Ahem, yes!

      No Gestapo guards at the admission threatening to throw you out if
you have a ball uniform but don’t wear your pass where they can see it
without having to stop a gossip conversation they were having on the side.
You know I thought the volunteers at some of them bid for the right to play
god with teams comings and goings. Not Monkton. Not once did I see a player
get hassled about anything!

     Now I know what you are thinking, they did not print passes, right?
Wrong! They printed gorgeous ones, and few players wore them as always the
case. But Monkton did not go eyeball to eyeball with them. Instead a
friendly and warm sincere welcome! I guess they know who players are from
gate jumpers, cool! (I felt so guilty because they were so beautifully
printed I wore mine after we were eliminated
.)

      When we got there, we were ushered to our team’s locker room. Case of
cold beer after the game there is waiting for us. A Kudite platter of Fresh
fruit, perfectly ripe, featuring grapes both green and red, sliced oranges,
buckets full of Gatorade and Powerade on ice for us, showers and toilet
facilities, wow!

      Live bands every night, Lineup cards, nobody being hassled about coin
flips. Great public address system, excellent food, prepared condiments in
crock-pots, and great prices on beer. But there is more!

      Nobody stuck a hose in the water bottle in the dugouts to fill, it
had Gatorade inside but for those who wanted water, they had bottled DeSani
chilled and cased for us in the dugout!

     Plenty of sociable people and fans, many more than the usual suspects,
although that is what makes the get togethers so priceless.

      Yes it was Priceless. Steve Price was not there. Jody Eidt had a bad
tourney, but still had the integrity to inform umpires who slipped more
than once that they needed to be better for this tourney. I feel for Jody,
because I know he wanted to shine for his home group. Well, Jody, take
comfort. They shined for you! Monkton is better than anyone expected, and
we all know what a great player, leader and man you are!

      This is without a doubt the best officiating I have seen at a tourney
in a long time. It was not perfect. The crew I had twice left justice
unfulfilled, but I know these guys, they are excellent and had a bad couple
of games.  The rest were stellar. Usually I have to worry about the
competence and the experience of umpires. Not here, they were “Top Shelf.”

      So here is the bottom line
 Monkton is the tourney that others will
strive to match from this moment forward. I did not even mention prize
money, but guess what? Other tournaments mostly eat Monkton’s dust. And
they chase you with an envelope for you to take your winnings; where else
does that take place?

      This is not about other tourneys being bad. Monkton just put
themselves in their own
Class! I fear they were idealistic and pulled it off. Worst thing that
could happen, right?
Just like if we had blown through Bow and County. By the way, Doug Eidt's
Twins featuring Don Scott will finish in the top ten, I predict! Excellent
team!

      Chances are other tourneys will adopt some of Monkton’s policies.
Monkton will get the rules more equitable. This tourney is about too many
good things to have any real criticism! Time limits and tiebreakers will be
upgraded. There is that idealism working against us. But only here.

      Fedlock was not sucker punched! Rankings due today spoke
louder.....and  I think Mike will agree after taking another look at it. My
money is on the Ranking Committee and also on Monkton, mark me “All In!

PeterJ.Porcelli,II
Peter J. Porcelli, II, LLC.
Mornings: 727-462-5538 x 201
Cellphone: 727-698-7259