[Alsfastball] Softball - Canada's Record Falls to 2-2 at the Prague Softball Cup - Media Release July 26, 2004

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Fri Jul 30 19:23:17 EDT 2004

From: "Lisette Johnson-Stapley" <lstapley at softball.ca>
Subject: Softball - Canada's Record Falls to 2-2 at the Prague Softball Cup
- Media Release July 26, 2004
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:08:22 -0400

Media Release

For immediate release

July 30, 2004

Canada’s Record Falls to 2 and 2 at the Prague Cup

(Ottawa, ON)

Day two action at the Prague Softball Cup is one the Canadian softballers
would just as soon forget as they lost both games.

In their first game of the day, the Canadian squad was unable to score
against the Czech Republic’s pitching duo of Eliska Pojerova and Katerina
Tesarikova.  The Czech Republic scored their only run in the 3rd inning.  A
single, two sac bunts and an error brought home the game’s only run.

Auburn Sigurdson pitched a complete game 1 hitter in a losing cause.  She
gave up one un-earned run, struck out 7 and gave up one walk.  Offensively,
Canada managed 3 singles – a pair from Cindy Eadie and one from Jackie
Lance.  Canada stranded 9 base runners.

“While the outcome of this game was not necessarily ideal, we are working
on the process and using every inning to learn from and to help prepare us
for our ultimate goal”, stated Auburn Sigurdson.  “Offensively we continue
to work hard to get into our grove.  As for my performance, I felt pretty
good and I feel more comfortable with each outing.”

In their second game of the day, Canada did not fare any better falling 2-1
to Chinese Taipei, the # 3 ranked nation in the World.  Chinese Taipei
opened the scoring in the 1st inning.  A walked batter was advanced to
second on a fielder’s choice and scored on a single.  In the 3rd, they
upper their lead to 2-0, on a single, a sac bunt and a single.

Canada cut in the lead in the sixth inning. Veteran Jackie Lance reached
base on an error.  Eadie moved Lance to second with a single and Lance
scored on a Cumpstone suicide squeeze bunt.  The Canadians out hit their
opponents 7-5.  Again Canada left 9 runners on base.

Canada received offensive production from: Alison Bradley (1H), Erin
Cumpstone (1 RBI), Jacke Lance (1R), Noemie Marin (1H), Kristy Odamura
(3H), and Sasha Olson (2H).  With her 3 hits today, Odamura upped her
tournament batting average to .538.

Ani Nyhus suffered the lose for Canada pitching a complete game.  Nyhus
gave up 2 earned runs, on 5 hits and struck out 2.  Shen-jung Lai picked up
the win for Chinese Taipei.

“Our game against Chinese Taipei was a solid performance.  We out hit them
and played solid defense”, stated Alison Bradley.  “This was another great
opportunity for us.  I am looking forward to our rematch against them
tomorrow.”

In other action, Chinese Taipei defeated the Netherlands 2 – 0.

Tomorrow’s Games (Saturday, July 31st  - all times local)

Canada vs. Netherlands (10:30)

Netherlands vs. Czech Republic (13:30)

Canada vs. Chinese Taipei (16:30)

Chinese Taipei vs. Czech Republic (19:30)

The 15 member Olympic Softball Roster includes:

Lauren Bay               Pitcher           Trail, B.C.

Alison Bradley          Outfield          Pinkerton, ON

Erin Cumpstone      Catcher          Saskatoon, SK

Cindy Eadie              3rd base          Brantford, ON

Kaila Holtz                 Pitcher           Amherst, MA (HT-North
Vancouver, BC)

Jackie Lance                        Utility              Albuquerque, NM
(HT-South Delta, BC)
Sheena Lawrick       Infield             Calgary, AB

Angela Lichty           Short Stop     Guelph, ON

Ani Nyhus                 Pitcher           White Rock, BC

Kristy Odamura        2nd base         Richmond, BC

Sasha Olson             Outfield          Valemount, BC

Kim Sarrazin             Catcher          St-Eustache, QC

Rachel Schill                        Outfield          Kitchener, ON

Auburn Sigurdson   Pitcher           Surrey, BC

Erin White                 1st base          North Liberty, IA (HT –
Richmond, BC)

Coaching Staff:

Mike Renney            Burnaby BC                         Head Coach

Glenn Boles              St. Catharines, ON              Assistant Coach

Patrick Murphy         Northport,
AL                                    Assistant Coach

Noreen Murphy        Saskatoon, SK                     Assistant Coach

Laurie Freebairn      Maple Ridge, BC                  Therapist

Gil Read                    Kanata, ON                           Team Leader

All player profiles as well as head and shoulders, and action shots can be
found on the Softball Canada website at
<http://www.softball.ca/>www.softball.ca  (women’s national team / player
profiles section).

Softball Canada is the national sport governing body for the sport of fast
pitch, slo-pitch and orthodox softball in Canada.

- 30 -

For more information, please contact Ron Gallinger Program Director –
National Teams, Softball Canada at 613-523-3386 ext. 3101 or 613-558-4663
or by email at <mailto:rgallinger at softball.ca>rgallinger at softball.ca,

Als Fastball List
*Email: <mailto:fastball at pmihrm.com>fastball at pmihrm.com
Website: http://www.alsfastball.com/