[Alsfastball] Softball - Canada upsets World ranked #2 Japan

aldoran at pmihrm.com aldoran at pmihrm.com
Tue Aug 17 15:45:18 EDT 2004

From:  Lisette Johnson-Stapley <lstapley at softball.ca>
Subject:  Softball - Canada upsets World ranked #2 Japan
Date:  Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:28:24 -0400

For immediate release

Tuesday August 17, 2004

Canada upsets World ranked #2 Japan

(Ottawa, ON) Canada experienced a great victory this morning with a win
over World ranked #2 Japan at the Olympic Games in Athens, Greece. Canada
scored the lone run of the game in extra innings.

"This was obviously a great day and we knew we had to play fundamentally to
win," stated Canadian Pitcher, Lauren Bay. "We came out showing what Canada
is capable of doing."

Canadian Catcher Erin Cumpstone said: "This was a big team win and the game
showed what the team can do when we play together...we can beat anyone on
any given day."

With a scoreless game, Canada and Japan went into extra innings using the
international tie breaking rule which places the last out from the previous
inning at 2nd base. It was British Columbia's Jackie Lance who had the
start at 2nd for Canada in the top of the 8th. Alison Bradley was at the
plate and bunted to advance Lance to 3rd. First base Erin White stepped up
to the plate and hit a single to right field to score Lance and put Canada
on the board. In the bottom of the 8th, Japan bunted to advance their
player to 3rd. With 1out, Canadian Pitcher Lauren Bay struck out the next
two batters who were Japan's # 4 and # 5 hitters to retire the side.

Canada had 1 run on 2 hits and committed 2 errors. Hits came from Angela
Lichty and Erin White. Canada's Lauren Bay pitched the entire game giving
up 3 hits, 3 walks and striking out 7 Japanese batters. Japan had 0 runs on
3 hits and had no errors. The Japanese Pitcher Yukiko UENO pitched a
no-hitter until the top of the 7th when Angela Lichty hit to left field.
Ueno gave up 2 hits, struck out 9 batters and 0 walks. Japan had 0 runs on
3 hits and did not commit an error.

Canada will face defending Gold Medallist and undefeated USA tomorrow
(Wednesday) at 10:00am ET. Canada is now 2-2. In 4 games, Canada has
allowed 1 earned run.

Rankings - Day 4

Teams
Yet to play

USA
4
0
Gre, Can, Tpe

AUS
2
1
Gre, Can, Chn, Ita

GRE
2
1
USA, Aus, Jpn, Tpe

CAN
2
2
USA, Aus, Ita

CHN
2
2
Aus, Jpn, Tpe

ITA
1
2
Aus, Can, Jpn, Tpe

JPN
1
3
Gre, Chn, Ita

TPE
0
3
USA, Gre, Chn, Ita

Team Canada's profiles and stats as well as previous Olympic results and
photos can be viewed on the Softball Canada website at www.softball.ca. For
more information, please contact Lisette Johnson-Stapley, Marketing &
Communications Director, Softball Canada at 613-795-1996 (Cel.) or
lstapley at softball.ca or 613-523-3386 ext. 3105.

*Please note that TSN is scheduled to broadcast the game this game this
evening.

TEAM CANADA - Olympic Roster

Pitchers

Ani Nyhus, Surrey, BC