[Alsfastball] Despite loss to the Aussies, Canada still rallying for playoff position

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Thu Aug 19 18:32:17 EDT 2004

From: "Lisette Johnson-Stapley" <lstapley at softball.ca>
Subject: Canada still rallying for playoff position
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:07:27 -0400

For immediate release

Thursday August 19

Despite loss to the Aussies, Canada still rallying for playoff position

(Ottawa, ON)  Although Canada lost to Australia 1-0 tonight at the Olympic
Games and increased their record to 2-4, they still have a chance to make
the playoffs.  Canada’s playoff action will depend on a win tomorrow
against Italy and on the result from the China vs Japan game.

"We battled hard tonight and we didn't get the breaks we needed," stated
Head Coach Mike Renney.  "At this level of competition you need the
breaks.  We have a tight turn around for tomorrow's game so we will go home
and get a good rest.”  When asked about tomorrow's game, Coach Renney
said:  "There is no holding back.  We will go hard and play like their is
no tomorrow (Saturday)."

“We wanted the win and we knew it would be tough game," stated
Centrefielder Rachel Schill.  “We wanted to execute at the plate and
managed to lay out some bunts.  Our pitching and defense was great.”  When
asked about tomorrow's game, Schill said:  "We are heading home on the bus
now and we are going to bed.  The key tomorrow will be to stay with each
pitch".

Canada and Australia battled hard against each other.  Canada's Lauren Bay
was tough on the mound striking out 10 batters and shutting down Australia
on what could have been scoring opportunities.  Australia scored the lone
run of the game in the 2nd inning when Australia's Peta Edebone hit a
double, advanced to 3rd on a wild pitch and on 2 outs, scored off a Simmone
Morrow easy single to rightfield.  Canada's only chance was in the 4th when
Rachel Schill hit a lead off single and Alison Bradley drag bunted to
advance Schill to 2nd.  Unfortunately Canada was unable to capitalize.

Rachel Schill had 2 hits, Angela Lichty had a single and bunt and Lance hit
a single.  Canada's Lauren Bay was the losing pitcher giving up 1 run, on 4
hits and struck out 10 batters and allowed 4 walks.  Australia's Melanie
Roche gave up 0 runs on 5 hits, 10 strikeouts and 0 walks.

Canada will face Italy tomorrow morning at 2:30am ET (to be broadcasted on
TSN).  Canada is now 2-4.  A win against Italy will increase Canada’s
record to 3-4 and thus a tie for 4th with the winner of China vs Japan
game.  If China defeats Japan, China will move to 3rd and Canada will tie
with Japan.  Canada takes 4th because of their win over Japan in
preliminaries.  Should Japan defeat China and Canada defeat Italy, Canada
and China will tie for 4th and China will take 4th because of win over
Canada in preliminaries.  Should any position have a 3 way or more tie,
ranking is decided on the win/loss record for those tied teams only and
should there still be a tie, the runs against will be considered (lowest
runs against ranking higher).

Team Canada's profiles and stats as well as previous Olympic results and
photos can be viewed on the Softball Canada website at
<http://www.softball.ca>www.softball.ca.  For more information, please
contact Lisette Johnson-Stapley, Marketing & Communications Director,
Softball Canada at 613-795-1996 (Cel.) or
<mailto:lstapley at softball.ca>lstapley at softball.ca or 613-523-3386 ext. 3105.

TEAM CANADA – Olympic Roster

Pitchers

Ani Nyhus, Surrey, BC

Lauren Bay, Trail, BC

Kaila Holtz, North Vancouver, BC

Auburn Sigurdson, Surrey, BC

Catchers

Kim Sarrazin, St-Eustache, PQ

Erin Cumpstone, Saskatoon, SK

Infielders

Sheena Lawrick, Calgary, AB

Kristy Odamura, Richmond, BC

Cindy Eadie, Brantford, ON

Angela Lichty, Guelph, ON

Erin White, Richmond, BC

Outfielders

Sasha Olson, Valemount, BC

Alison Bradley, Pinkerton, ON

Rachel Schill, Kitchener, ON

Jackie Lance, Delta, BC

Team Staff

Mike Renney, Head Coach

Glenn Boles, Assistant Coach

Patrick Murphy, Assistant Coach

Noreen Murphy, Assistant Coach

Gil Read, Team Leader

Laurie Freebairn, Physiotherapist

Lisette Johnson Stapley
Directrice du Marketing & Communications Director
Softball Canada
2197 Promenade Riverside Drive
Ottawa, ON  K1H 7X3
Tel. (613) 523-3386 ext. 3105