[Alsfastball] RE: "Operation Dumbo Drop !"

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sat Aug 28 10:08:19 EDT 2004

From: "Mike Groves" <falcon at fedlock.com>
To: "'Al Doran'" <fastball at pmihrm.com>
Subject: RE: "Operation Dumbo Drop !"
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:14:45 -0400

At 01:16 AM 8/28/2004, you wrote:
Dick:

Let's get this out from behind the ISC closed-doors, in front of the people
who care about this game.  Guess what?  Those people are NOT exclusively
ISC or ASA officials.  Let's air this out.  I, for one, have no agenda, and
nothing to hide behind.

So:
1.  Don't tell me how to represent my opinions.

2. "Sarcasm," when utilized (ref: Joe Heller, Medici, Kafka, et. al. ad
nauseum) is a valid & longstanding method of questioning
authority.  Particularly, absolute authority.  Typically, absolute
authority never likes the methodology.
(Point made.)

3. I don't recall a blanket agreement to ANYTHING the Player's Rep
committee decides to do.  I have a mind, I have my own opinion.  What the
Player Rep committee "decides" should be (much as many ISC commandments
from the temple mount are not open to question or input from the members)
is open to inspection, agreement, disagreement, critical analysis,
suggestions, additions, inputs, improvements..........if you want kowtows,
if you want blind obedience, if you want yes-men.........well, you're
talking to the wrong man.
You are talking to the wrong MAN.

4.  Whiffs of the A......the AS.........the ASA...!............that Ivory
Tower of don't-you-dare-question-US-mentality, of which you are a
long-standing fundamentalist, are you not?...........I sense
ASA-legislate-the-shit-out-of-it-throw-a-dart & see-if-it-sticks-mentality
on the pitcher-list-concept & ALSO the "from-nowhere" revamped WT pool play
format.

5.  If you want clones, people who don't Question Authority, people who
don't seek answers, people who don't delve DEEPLY into what is best for THE
GAME, people who don't seek to protect & preserve as many people's rights &
interests as possible in the quest to keep our (struggling) great game
alive & flourishing.........if you want yes-men, well, Mike Groves cannot
answer that metronome-like, Stepford-like bell.

I will continue to question new rules that do not canvass the managers /
sponsors / players who make up the guts of this game, I will continue to
question hastily-called "votes" and subsequent rulings that influence many
people (votes that are not all for the good), and I will continue to query
the power structure of our organization while being part & parcel of same
(it's also called "constructive criticism" and "strengthening the fabric
from within".........Dick).

And I will not be lectured by anyone to effectively "stifle" my
thoughts............especially title-holders within the ISC who have not
been on the front lines of the expense, the Major circuit, the
understanding of the ballplayers &  the teams & what makes the game
work.............in this day & age..............as opposed to thinking that
the game today is simply the same as it was 20 years ago..........

You can disagree with my thoughts.  Fine.  You can tell me I'm
wrong.  Fine.  Your opinion holds no more weight than mine.  Why should you
have more "pull" merely because you you have an antiquated title?  With
very little hands-on, getting-out-there experience behind that
title?  Where's the corollation?  I have been in the front lines of Major
ball for years, i.e., I don't show up once a year & "garner opinions" in
hotel ballrooms from people who have personal or hidden agendas.

Realize this:  I have tried to explain much of the intrinsic aspects of the
Major game & its inherent issues to you in this email, and I haven't even
touched upon 90% of those issues.  To understand those issues, Dick, you'd
have to actually show up at something beyond the once-a-year hoot & holler
in August.  If you got out into the hinterlands.........the Amsterdams, the
Woodstocks, the Orillias, the Eries, the Allentowns, the Madisons, the
Midlands........well, you might then understand what it REALLY takes for
players, sponsors, managers, and affiliates to hang on within the game that
we love.  And if you did all that, pursuant to your position & your "title"
then you'd PERHAPS be able to legislate effective & intelligent policy.

I believe that it's called "Accountability."  Dick.

Until that concept is your reality, and not just bandied about like some
television gameshow terminology, spare me the lectures.

I will always proceed with the game's best interests on mind.   Always
have.  That may mean my opinions clash with yours.  So be it.  Live with
it.  Get over it.  Move on into the land of the pro-active.

This is not a contest of egos or titles.  Unfortunately, over the years,
it's obvious that egos & titles have taken precedence over the good of the
fastball game.

My main points remain untainted by personal attacks:
1.  The decision for this pitching list was made hastily & without fair
input & contribution from sponsors, players, managers, et. al. affected by
same.
2.  The Player Rep "vote" was not inclusive, in fact it was exclusive,
perhaps not by design, but certainly by effect.  The vote does NOT
accurately reflect the desires of the ISC membership.
3.  Pitching list concept solves...............nothing!  I am still waiting
for SOMEONE to explain why the pitching list restriction is a sound concept
and how said pitching-restriction list will bolster our game in one, three,
or five year's time.

Suggestion:  tell the world who came up with these ideas, who initiated the
motions, who seconded the motions, who ACTUALLY VOTED for these motions??

.......................still waiting..........................

Suggestion:  (Question, first: how in THE HELL does the ISC get off pumping
Kitchener for 200,000 bucks prior to a pitch even being thrown????   Where
is the shame??  Even self-justification for bloated egos & comped travel
can only go so far, can it not??  How long do you think host cities will
put up with this abuse?  How long will the ISC membership teams continue to
tolerate this wanton waste & abuse of their dollars?))
Back to suggestion:  ashcan the hundreds of ISC Kommish freebie rooms &
other costly perks for any ISC commissioner not sending a team to the
WT.  Take that money & spread it amongst the bottom 20 teams in the
WT.  Make those lard-ass Kommissioners who show up once a year do their
JOBS.  Or dump them.  They won't be missed, eh?

Suggestion:  Take the 50k the ISC strong-arms from potential WT hosts and
use that money to seed a fund designed to recruit ESPN2 to show up at the
WT with a production truck, a producer, 4 cams, and a professional filming
/ production crew..........and voila!  Exactly how the X-Games, the
dog-tricks shows, the lumberjack "contests" ........... and putt-putt
"events" get on the tube (!) - and exactly how those "sports" garner more
participants who see a pro sport to aim for, and more sponsorship dollars,
and more player participation..............etc..............

Suggestion:  let Ken Hackmeister, just for once, implement his ideas (his
imaginative, creative, sport-user-friendly ideas) & watch the game take off.

Of course, you could continue to "stay the course" & ramrod into place
rules which have little membership support, continue to suck up & pay for
impotent ISC Kommissars who do nothing to work for the game, continue to
legislate the crap out of the game without intelligently exploring the
effects of said legislation....
..........in which case, I'll send flowers when this once-magnificent sport
topples over from its own slobbering bulk & deadweight.

Regards,

falcon at fedlock.com
Michael Groves