[Alsfastball] Series vs. Tournament

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Thu Oct 7 09:25:20 EDT 2004

From: Andy Bader <abader at bowesnet.com>
Subject: Series vs. Tournament
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:59:18 -0400

Joel

I read with interest your comment about series to decide playoff champions.
We here in the South Perth Men's Fastball League, a 21-team league this
past season, have been using a tournament-style "get-it-over-with-one
weekend" playoff for the past 3 seasons with great success.

Sure there are teams which would prefer to have series, and we had series
prior to our change to a tournament, but for simple logistics, the SPMFL
decided to try a tournament and it's been a great boon to our game. First,
the sheer size of our league has made it difficult to have series unless we
end our regular season a lot sooner or play until mid-to late-October when,
in the past anyway, we've froze our collective butts off. Second, our
league has grown geographically where we cover a wide area, and having
series does nothing for building rivalries unless two rivals happen to be
within close proximity or have been long-time rivals where the history has
already been there. Third, we're finding that teams are relying on younger
players all the time, and are gone off to post-secondary education sooner
or continuing their hockey careers in the junior or university ranks
somewhere and have no interest in returning for Game 2 of a best-of-five
series at 8 p.m. in a dark, cold park on a Tuesday night. Besides, the
veteran, core players now have kids to cart to hockey practice or games
right after work.

The tournament-style playoff, where the top 16 teams compete in a true
double-knockout event ranked according to their regular season record, has
increased our fan base, not eroded it. The timing - two weekends after
Labour Day - and the setting (Keterson Park in Mitchell, a four-diamond
complex) has been as fairly close to central as possible for the teams
competing, and the weather (believe it or not) has been outstanding each
and every year.

Sure the best team might not always win in a tournament, which makes it
even more exciting for the players and the fans. In our league anyway,
where any team can defeat another on any given night, it merely added to
the drama. It happened this year when both a #2 and a #3 seeded team was
knocked off in the opening game by a #15 and a #14 seed. It also gave
loyal, die-hard fans a chance to see the best players on the teams they
might not always see at one location. Are they going to drive to Elora and
see Todd Uhrig pitch, or to Bridgeport and see the Schnarr boys? Unless
you're from that neighbourhood, sure, but not if you're a loyal fan from
St. Pauls or Fullarton. Especially when you have to bring 3 sweaters, your
favourite toque, woolly mitts and a blanket to "enjoy" the game....

No system is perfect. But in order for the great game of fastpitch softball
to grow and prosper, we took this bold step and I personally think it was a
good one to take. Many players have agreed, and there appears little chance
of it reverting back.

Just one man's opinion. Thanks for your time.

Andy Bader
South Perth Men's Fastball League
Secretary/Statistician
and former player & coach
Mitchell Mets intermediate men's fastball club

From: Andy Bader <abader at bowesnet.com>

  Als Fastball List
*Email: fastball at pmihrm.com