[Alsfastball] Four new caps in Black Sox team

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sun Jan 2 17:48:45 EST 2005

Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:40:19 +1300

From: SNZ Web-master <snz-webm at vanf-graphics.co.nz>
Subject: Four new caps in Black Sox team

Four new caps in Black Sox team
Monday January 3rd 2004

There will be four new faces in the team when the New Zealand Community
Trust Black Sox assemble in Rotorua next month for the Evodrive Pacific Cup
Series.

Black Sox coach Eddie Kohlhase has gone for a mix of experience and youth
in naming his first 20 man squad. The team includes 13 players from last
year’s world championship winning team along with four new caps and three
recalled players.

Kohlhase says the selection panel felt it was important to maintain
consistency in the team along with developing a few new players.

“There are four brand new caps and it is great for them to be coming into
such an established team ­ a winning established team,” said Kohlhase.

In speaking of the four new caps Kohlhase says Tane Richardson is a pitcher
who has matured and learnt his craft over recent seasons and the Evodrive
Series is a chance to him to show what he has got.

One selection made with an eye to the future was the inclusion of young
Auckland catcher Jonathan Munden. Kohlhase says while he may not receive a
lot of game time during the series he is confident he can handle the step
up as he has been catching week in week out at club level to international
class pitchers Michael Gaiger and Heinie Shannon.

Another youthful selection is the naming of Wellington’s Chris Eden-Huria
who caught the eye of the national selectors last season playing for
Canterbury against the Black Sox in the build up to the 2004 World
Championships.

“Chris is a very big man who has a lot of grace on the diamond in terms of
balance. He is at a very high level for this stage of his career and we see
him as a potential development prospect.”

Another who will make his debut at the Evodrive Series is veteran Auckland
catcher Lyndon Andrew.  At the age of 34 the international call up has been
a long time coming for Andrew but Kohlhase says the experience he brings to
the catchers position will prove invaluable during the series.

The naming of the team toady also includes an international recall for
three players who have been on the fringes of Black Sox selection during
recent seasons.

“Fabian Makea, Stephen Ratu and Rhys Casley are all guys that are good
enough to make any other international team in the world but they have come
up against tough opposition here in New Zealand,” said Kohlhase.

Another feature of the team named today is the selection of infielder
Nathan Nukunuku as vice captain. Kohlhase says the naming of a vice captain
while it is rare in softball is all part of developing leadership in the team.

“With the next world championships five years out it is important that we
develop leaders within the team. Nathan’s selection as vice captain is a
coming of age for him, he has been around the Black Sox since 2000 and his
form and ability to lead at the 2004 world champs was inspirational.”

The 20 man squad named today will assemble in Wellington on January 8th for
a two day camp as part of the build up to the Evodrive Series.

Looking ahead to the series where the Black Sox will be taking Australia,
Japan, Samoa and Argentina at Rotorua International Stadium from February
3rd ­ 6th Kohlhase is confident he has selected the right team to do the job.

“We have named four pitchers for the series and Jarrad Martin will be able
to cover the pitching as well and there is some real depth in the hitting
and we are strong on the bench. We have got guys we can bring into the game
to do a job weather it be hitting or fielding and we have got a lot of
speed in the team and offensive power.”

NEW ZEALAND COMMUNITY TRUST BLACK SOX TEAM:
Pitchers - Marty Grant (Wellington), Michael Gaiger (Auckland), Thomas
Cameron (Auckland), Tane Richardson (Hutt Valley).

Catchers - Lyndon Andrew (Auckland), Patrick Shannon (Auckland).

Infield - Jarrad Martin, captain (Wellington), Dion Nukunuku (Auckland),
Brad Rona (North Harbour), Nathan Nukunuku, vice captain (Auckland), Roman
Gabriel (Auckland).

Outfielders - Stacy McLean (Wellington), Thomas Makea (Wellington), Taifau
Matai (Auckland), Donny Hale (Auckland), Fabian Makea (Wellington) Chris
Eden-Huria (Wellington).

Utilities - Steven Ratu (Wellington), Jonathan Munden (Auckland), Rhys
Casley (Hutt Valley).

Not considered due to injury - Bevan Martin (Taranaki).

By SNZ Media Liaison: Kelly Mitchell
*  mailto:kelly.mitchell at xtra.co.nz

http://www.softball.org.nz/
* mailto:snz at softball.org.nz