Ontario Masters News

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sat Nov 26 09:30:27 EST 2005

From: "Dave Birnie" <ranger11(at)idirect.com>
To: "Al Doran" <fastball(at)pmihrm.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 08:54:11 -0500
Subject: Ontario Masters News

Ontario Masters News

The OASA recently held their AGM and the following motions / proposals all
passed and will be in effect for 2006.

Page 60 - By-Law II - Player Eligibility 2:5:1, a), last sentence
Revise to read, "Pitchers must be at least 40 years of age in the year of
the event."
Rationale: Age eligibility deadlines should be the same for position
players and pitchers.
A pitcher can be 39 years of age as long as he turns 40 sometime in 2006.

Resolution #1
Be it resolved that for the 2006 season, the Masters Series be allowed to
submit their roster and all other required information by the registration
date (team certificate deadline) electronically if possible and sign in at
the Provincial Championship Tournament.

Resolution #2
Be it resolved that for the 2006 season, a Grand Masters Series will be
created on a trial basis.  All Grand Master Players must be at least 45
years of age in the year of the event.  The OASA Grand Masters Championship
Tournament will operate on the same date and same location as the OASA
Masters Championship Tournament.  All other rules related to the Grand
Masters Series will follow the OASA guidelines.
It would be nice to see some of the North Bay teams enter the Grand Masters
division.

It was confirmed by Bob Abbot that the 2006 OASA Masters and Grand Masters
Championship will NOT be held in Port Perry,
Want to know where the tournament will be held ?
Check out the Ontario Masters Fastball web site for the answer
http://eteamz.active.com/omf/

Some rumours floating around about a new team forming for 2006 with an
elite pitching staff being recruited and some other BIG names as well.
The only stumbling block seems to be finding sponsors.

There are currently 4 Ontario tournaments on the masters circuit and all
will be using the OASA age eligibility deadline rules ( see above for age
eligibility ) for 2006 except for the World Senior Tournament in North Bay.
It would be nice to see all the tournaments using the same rules wherever
possible.
The 4 tournaments on the Ontario Masters circuit are ...................

Waterloo May Two-Four Blast - May long weekend
OASA Provincial Championships Masters & Grand Masters - Date not confirmed,
probably July as always
Canadian Masters Championship Men & Women - Cobourg , CMFA Executive
working on date
World Senior Men's Fastball Tournament - North Bay, Labour Day Weekend

NAFA Masters World Series - Carson City Nevada Sep 22-24 2006
35 & over ( player eligibility will be a player's age anytime during the
2006 calendar year )
40 & over ( player eligibility will be a player's age anytime during the
2006 calendar year )
45 & over ( player eligibility will be a player's age anytime during the
2006 calendar year )
50 & over ( player eligibility will be a player's age anytime during the
2006 calendar year )

It sure would be nice to see some Canadian flavour at the 2006 NAFA Masters
World Series tournament, I know its something I have always wanted to do
before I retire.  I'm always looking for nominations for " Masters of the
Game " a monthly feature on the Ontario Masters Fastball web site. I would
like to put a survey on the OMF web site and would like to invite you to
submit a question to be considered for the survey.  If you have any hot
rumours, player movements, juicy tidbits etc. please send them to me for
the OMF web site, any submissions will remain confidential.

It was a real pleasure to be asked to accept a "perfect game" award at the
recent OASA AGM. The perfect game award was presented to Alvinston Indians
pitcher Doug Charlton and his catcher Dan Demers. Doug Charlton was the
only pitcher at any level to throw a perfect game in 2005.  I had the best
seat in the house to watch Doug twirl his perfect game and it was real
sweet to watch except for the fact that Doug's perfect game came against
our team the Waterdown Hammer. Doug is an elite pitcher on the masters
scene and is still considered one of the top Intermediate pitchers as he
recently helped his Alvinston team to a 3rd place finish at the very tough
ISC II Tournament of Champions in Wisconsin. Doug is a workhorse and a
warrior and can pitch all weekend long but most important he is a gentleman
and one of the good guys in the game. Congratulations Doug and Dan on this
great achievement.

Rick May of the Colborne Rutherflo Masters also received an OASA "
no-hitter " award at the AGM. Rick's no-hitter award came while pitching
for the Lake Simcoe Lighting at the OASA Intermediate " C " Championships
in Bobcaygeon. Rick pitched 7 innings winning 4-0 with 10 K's and faced 22
batters with 2 walks.
It was a real shame that Rick wasn't on hand to receive this award because
apparently he knew nothing about the award presentation, Sylvia Ryan
accepted the award on Rick's behalf.  If Rick wasn't notified, then I
wonder if Doug Charlton even knew about his award.

Perfect games and no-hitters don't happen everyday and if you are skilled
and lucky enough to achieve this great feat you should be on hand to
receive your own award, or at least invited to do so by the OASA. In 2002
one of my pitchers with my Stoney Creek Gators team threw a no-hitter
against the local Ingersoll team.
The local scorer gave a base hit on a 2 hop routine grounder to my
shortstop who bobbled the ball twice and made a late throw to 1st base. I
tried to apply for the no-hitter award on behalf of my pitcher but was told
the official scoresheet had to be used. Too bad an OASA official scorer
wasn't used. Since there was no doubt that Mark Curtis actually threw a
no-hitter with 10K's we had our own no-hitter award custom made and framed
and we as a team presented it to Mark.

A special note to Dave Reynolds : Congratulations on becoming the new
President of the OASA it could not of happened to a nicer guy. Dave
recently was a member of the Canadian Masters Fastball Association and
before that he was OASA Secretary.

Yours in Sport

Dave Birnie
Web Site Administrator
Ontario Masters Fastball
Web Site : http://eteamz.active.com/omf/
mailto:ranger11 at idirect.com
mailto:ontariomasters at hotmail.com

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com

Our New Condo: http://www.rpt.ca/hunt/ for Sale or Rent