Rejuvinating Softball

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sat Nov 26 14:02:26 EST 2005

From: "Michael Samways" <msamways(at)softballontario.ca>
To: <fastball(at)pmihrm.com>
Subject: Rejuvinating Softball
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:15:00 -0500

Rejuvenating Softball

Softball is dying.  I'd bet my life 99.9 percent of everyone who is reading
this has heard that phrase uttered at some point over the past couple of
years. Over and over I hear softball is dying. I have resigned myself to
the fact that the all-knowing people who make this claim are not going to
be proactive for the cause. These people are waiting for a magic cure, a
quick fix miracle that will suddenly jolt softball back to the nation wide
glory-days of old. Unfortunately, it's going to take more than an eighteen
year old kid coming out of Rimouski to revive our sport. That's not to say
it can't be done. On the contrary, it can be done, just not by 5 people, or
10 people, or even 50 people, and certainly not by people who are content
to just cross their arms and write off the sport with 3 simple words.
Softball is dying.

Softball is alive. Contrary to popular belief softball isn't even on
life-support. I've seen the tournament crowds. I've seen small towns get
behind their teams. I've seen some of the best athletes on the planet
battle for nothing more than the love of game. Softball has given so much
to so many and now it's time to give something back. If all the softball
players out there take a minute and think of the opportunities,
experiences, laughs, and life-long friends you have been afforded by being
able to play this game, I think you would agree it isn't too much to ask.

Which raises the question, how exactly do I go about "giving back" to the
sport? Well, there isn't a single answer for that. I realize that everyone
is extremely busy and it seems we have less and less personal time each
year, but there are many things that can be done and none of them take
massive amounts of effort or time. You can volunteer to be a minor softball
coach, assistant coach, or even just an occasional helper. Softball Ontario
is offering free Introduction to Coaching Clinics across the province this
spring and anyone and everyone can come. We are also going to try and
organize an "Adopt-a-team" program, where senior teams adopt a team of
youngsters and help out at their practices and games. Softball Ontario is
always looking for volunteers. We have the resources available to do many
great things but we are constantly short on manpower and there is only so
much a few people can do.

Do you know of any events in your community? From festivals and fairs to
trade shows and parades, Softball Ontario is happy to partner with softball
teams and associations to set up a booth and promote the game. Do you know
of any schools in your area? Do you know any teachers? Softball Ontario has
programs designed to get softball into schools, but there is only so many
we can reach on our own. Tournaments are always summer highlights, but we
need to start worrying more about attracting kids to watch the games, and
less about attracting people to the beer tent. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy
a beer or five in the tent as much as anyone, but let's take a few minutes
to figure out what we can offer and how to promote a tournament so that
non-softball kids and their parents come out to watch these great games.
Talk to schools, talk to camps, talk to kids, talk to your community, talk
to tournament organizers, but most importantly, talk to us. To make a
difference we need to work together.

The bottom line is, in order to revive the sport of softball, we have to be
visible. Kids and parents have too many options for us to just sit back and
hope they choose softball. We have to get into communities, into the
papers, into the public conscious in order to fully resuscitate our sport.
If people truly think it would be a shame for our sport to wither away,
then everyone should band together and take control of the situation. A few
people alone cannot make the significant changes needed to raise our
profile, but if everyone just does their small part, there is no limit to
what can be accomplished. After all, considering what softball has done for
all of us, don't we owe it just a little bit?

For more information on any of Softball Ontario's programs and services,
please give me a call or shoot me an email 416 426
7150   <mailto:msamways at softballontario.ca>msamways at softballontario.ca .

Mike Samways, Participation Program Coordinator

Softball Ontario

Mike Samways
Participation Program Coordinator
Softball Ontario
1185 Eglinton Ave East
North York, ON
ph  416 426 7150
fax 416 426 7368
msamways(at)softballontario.ca
<file://www.softballontario.ca>www.softballontario.ca

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com

Our New Condo: http://www.rpt.ca/hunt/ for Sale or Rent