Lil Smokers Go to the Finals at the National's

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Sun Jan 1 23:06:59 EST 2006

From: PeterJPorcelli(at)aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 21:28:35 EST
Subject: Lil Smokers Go to the Finals at the National's
To: fastball(at)pmihrm.com

                       Tampa Bay Li'l Smokers go to Final in National
Tournament

      I know this is a softball list and I hope I do not try your patience
when I gleefully report that the Tampa Bay Li'l Smokers, fire division AAU
club baseball team have had a great run in the winter National Championship
Tourney held each year during the last week of the calendar year in sunny
Florida! There is not a lot of good news to report lately in our sport,
mostly people jockeying for position, clout or political advantage, so I
thought I would give you a bit of heart warming drama, like the type
Hollywood used to craft and does so little of any more.

      This is the team my son, Trey played with until this fall season,
when his mom and I decided to allow him to drop down to his own age group,
yet still compete with the best players in the world, albeit with 11 year olds.

      When the decision was made, Trent Rubley, became the head guy on the
field of this 12 and under team, and I dropped down to assistant. This
enabled me to spend time watching my son play on the 11 and under East
Coast Blue Devils going forward, and for Trent to take the Li’l Smokers
on a crusade to see just how far they could go.

      When a coach’s son leaves, usually the team folds, but Trent & I
refused to look at these kids as road kill. They were not playing their
butts off week after week and making great strides under Rubley’s careful
tutelage, just because my son was there. So we went forward this fall, and
took on all comers.

      The regular season was filled with bitter lessons of what it is like
to have lack of experience, what it means to practice good mechanics in
games as well as practice, all without much return on the investment
leading to the big climax of the season, the State & National tourneys. It
also was marked with the reality that if you are green and work hard, you
will play and get the aforementioned hard lessons, while if you have talent
and you refuse to work your hardest, you get left behind, either on the
bench or off the team.

      Perhaps the hardest lesson these kids have to learn is that just
because they sign up and just because you might make the team in try out,
is no guarantee you will still be there after any given week if you do not
produce what is demanded from you in effort and attitude.

      That being the case, the Li’l Smokers barely qualified for the
National’s after a mediocre State Tourney, finishing seventh, preceded by
a less than spectacular 2-9 regular season.

     But that was all forgotten when the 10 remaining Li’l Smokers, who
wear the identical uniforms the big Smoke Boys did, took the field this
past week for a run at immortality. Originally the roster was 16, but Trent
Rubley saw to it that overconfident cocky talent was told “Don’t Bother
coming,” that those who resented new players with less talent but strong
desire were also left home, and even parents who thought their kids
indispensable, were told they need not show up, and it was their job as
parents to explain it to their sons, who their kids were really supposed
have listened to on the field.

      That left the remaining ten eager faces with a seemingly bloated
eight ranking and nobody to blame for whatever was going to happen as the
tourney unfolded.

      In the round robin, the first game was a close win and a gratifying
one, as the kids played well but the bounces did not go their way, yet they
still prevailed.

      The next game saw the face the number three team and fight back from
a 5-0 early deficit to lose 8-6 but make a statement, that the Smokers were
there to play. I saw a spark there, and knew that this group was going to
do damage.

      In the third and final round robin tilt, the number 2 team eked out a
2-1 win over the Li’l Smokers but another warning message had been fired
over the bows of the respective competition for the little men in black.
Because the Smoke Kids had not allowed many runs, they squeaked into the
playoffs and played the very first playoff game on the same day as the
round robin with just nine boys, as we had an injury to the heel of our
catcher and  regular season MVP.

      In that game the Li’l Smokers bats came alive in the fifth and
final sixth inning and they ran away with an 11-5 win. That put us into the
quarter finals against an undefeated number 4 team who had a first round
bye and an entire day off.

Well, we fell behind by a run, then two, and it seemed like lights out and
an excellent effort with a familiar ending, when the coach of the opposing
Diamondbacks decided to pull a “Barrie Penman” and try to run out the
time allotment instead of pitch to our little but nervous boys. Rubes
objected to the lack of sportsmanship that usually accompanies such moves,
(but not in Barrie’s case) and was barking how this sends the wrong
signal, and he nearly got tossed over it. Parents groaned and the Li’l
Smokers quietly loaded the bases with 2 out.

      After another stall move by the opposition, Rubley saw little time to
waste and ordered his base runner on third to steal home. He did! The
Diamondbacks were yelling at each other on the field, nobody wanting to
take responsibility, then on a 1-2 count with runners on second and third,
Rubes started the runners, and the little shortstop, Gabe Lopez, went with
a pitch and sliced it to right field scoring the runner from third easily
but it was also enough for our runner on second to hot foot it home and try
to beat the throw that had been bobbled with all the yelling from the right
fielder. He did, sliding under the tag and it was lights out for the
Diamondbacks, who had a former Li’l Smoker problem child as their
shortstop crying over the outcome. No tears in Smokerland, we were going to
the semi final against the Lakeland Renegades!

      Now our catcher is well enough to give it a go. We are playing our
fourth game in 24 hours and we are tired. We fall behind 3-0 in the second,
the the Lakeland team who we had never beaten did something I never thought
they would. They went into cruise control. A fourth inning saw the
Smoker’s get five walks and four hits to go up 6-3 as shocked Renegade
parents started grousing and management arguing.

      In the fifth inning, Renagade bats produced two runs to come within a
run of the lead, then the overconfidence came back with such a close score.
Lakeland thought they could turn it on at will. So when the Renegades took
the field in the bottom of the fifth, they thought it would be minutes
before they took the lead their next at bat.

      However, Li’l Smoker bats work without razzle dazzle as well, and
we put another run up that looked huge. Just as we were ready to put it
away, our opponents protested a pitcher’s inning count and we were
delayed for 45 minutes while all was verified. As it turned out, a player
of ours in a game from two days earlier had come in for one batter and was
charged the entire inning, house rules, totally correct. We lost the player
and the coach for the remainder of the game.

      Now we are down to nine again with an outfielder with only little
league experience playing third base, admittedly a weakness they could exploit.

      They did not, we got through the sixth and we’re going to the
final. The Li’l Smokers had handed two teams in a row their first tourney
loss and each one was a ticket home for that team.

      In the final, we held the opposition and  defending National Champs
to a scoreless tie for half the game, before we succumbed 5-0 using a
pitcher from the fifth on, who had never pitched with runners leading
before the pitch, had never pitched from further  than 46 feet, as we play
50, and so on. No excuses. We played hard. We also got to see what it takes
to be a national champ because we played a good one.

      What a run! And a very heartwarming experience for the leftover kids
who never complained, learned a boatload from Rubes, and experienced
competition and glory similar to that which they will hopefully see and
enjoy again in the future.

      The Li’l Smokers are runner up national champions, but moreover
they are great kids who ran through brick walls for coach Trent Rubley. One
of them is a ten year old (a bigg’un though) just to show what can be
achieved!

      I hope you will take in this effort in hospitable fashion as I know I
have burned up your fastpitch time with kids and baseball, but it is the
type of life experience that paves the way for even greater achievement in
the time ahead. Happy New Year to all, and congratulations to the Lil Smokers!

      My inspiration to post this story was learning that Al can’t take a
post down once it is up, and I hope he turns a blind eye to this,
accidentally

Cheers! bsp;

           Peter J.Porcelli

Proud sponsor and assistant coach

Reply to <mailto:PeterJPorcelli at aol.com>PeterJPorcelli(at)aol.com

PeterJ.Porcelli,II
Reply to: PETERJPORCELLI at AOL.COM
SILVERSTONE LENDING, LLC
727-572-7772 x 277 Ofc.
727-573-7728 Ofc Fax
727-446-7752 x 201 Res. before 8:00 PM
727-518-7383 Fax res
Cellphone: 727-698-7259

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com

Holiday Greetings from Al's Fastball:
http://ecard.e-axis.com/get_card.php?id=223

Our New Condo: http://www.rpt.ca/hunt/ for Sale or Rent