Response to Tony Smith; Intentional Walk rule

Al Doran aldoran at pmihrm.com
Wed Jan 11 11:47:31 EST 2006

From: "Bill Hillhouse" <billhillhouse(at)hotmail.com>
Subject: Response to Tony Smith; Intentional Walk rule
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:40:03 -0500

Tony

Kia Ora from the very cold North East USA.

While I understand your plea and argument, I think if you were to reflect
on this deeper, you'd realize that Softball NZ did the right thing.    Now
having said that, we can debate the rule all day long: Should the pitcher
have to throw the pitches or not.   But, in my opinion.... taking the ISF
rule's is the best thing NZ could've done.

Unlike countries such as the USA, New Zealand gears themselves up for one
thing:  ISF World Series.  If that is the rule that is going to be used in
'09 Saskatoon... then NZ is better off using it.   You need to understand
how much those "little things" NZ does help them in the long term
development of their program.  Even a simple thing like using the official
ISF ball helps your team prepare much better than most of the others.

USA softball does not use the ISF ball in championship play.  We don't
require our pitchers to throw under the antiquated ISF pitching rule.  But
NZ does.  And look at their success.   Then... take a look at the status of
US Men's softball.   The difference is staggering.

I agree with you... it's stupid.  The pitcher should have to throw the
ball.  But, adopting the ISF's rules, no matter how good or bad, is the
best thing SNZ could do.   It will help them progress, while everyone else
continues to regress.

Bill Hillhouse

From: "Bill Hillhouse" <billhillhouse(at)hotmail.com>

    fastball at pmihrm.com
    eScribe is down, but may be back soon escribe.com

Our New Condo: http://www.rpt.ca/hunt/ for Sale or Rent