U.S Remains Perfect at World Cup - women

fastball fastball at pmihrm.com
Sat Jul 15 06:46:16 EDT 2006

From:  "Holly Krivokapich" <hollyk(at)softball.org>

Subject:  U.S Remains Perfect at World Cup

U.S Remains Perfect at World Cup

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. – The 2006 USA Women’s National teamremains
undefeated at the II World Cup of Softball presented by Kellogg’s
Frosted Flakes after handing Canada a 6-1 loss, tonight in Oklahoma
City, Okla. Lovieanne Jung (Fountain Valley, Calif.connected
on a 1-1 pitch for a grand slam homerun, the team’s secondgrand
slam of the season.

Jessica Mendoza (Camarillo Calif.) collected the first hit ofthe
game with a single in the first but no runs would be pushed across
theplate.  Mendozahas been stellar at the plate so far at this
World Cup hitting .500 (4-8) withtwo homeruns, six RBI and two
runs scored.

Team USAtook the 4-0 lead in the fourth on just two hits. Stacey
Nuveman (La Verne, Calif.) was hitby a pitch and Andrea Duran
(Selma, Calif.) singled to rightcenter to begin the rally. Kaila
Holtz (North VancouverB.C) who started the game for Canadaleft
the game with two runners on and was relieved by Robin Mackin
(Newmarket, ON).Mackin who walked her first batter to load the
bases for Jung. With two outs onthe board, Jung drove the ball
deep over centerfield fence to give the U.S. afour run lead.

“I think I was a little nervous because I didn’t have agood first
at bat,” said Jung. “I wasn’t aggressive at theplate, so my plan
was to change that coming into my second at bat. It was arelief.
I felt a lot of pressure with the bases loaded, two outs and
no runs onthe board. My first thought though wasn’t on a homerun.
I wanted to get abase hit and have a good at bat.”

A sacrifice fly by Nuveman scored Natasha Watley (Irvine, Calif.)
inthe fifth to give the U.S. a 5-0 lead. Team Canadaavoided a
shutout with their own run fifth inning off a solo shot tocenterfield
by Melanie Matthews (Surrey BC).

Jamie Southern (Clovis Calif.) threw five completeinnings, allowing
five hits, one earned run while striking out six to earn thewin.

Cat Osterman (Houston Texas) came in for relief in thesixth and
allowed no hits, striking out four and walking two. The U.S.
put up an insurance run in the seventh on asingle by Crystl Bustos
(Canyon County, Calif.) that pushed Caitlin Lowe (Tustin, Calif.),who
singled to shortstop and stole second.

Canada(0-2) is slated to take on China(0-2)) at 2:00 p.m. tomorrow.
Team USA(2-0) will take on archrival Australia(2-0) at 11:00
a.m. Competition continues in the evening when the USA meetsdefending
champion, Japan, in a rematch of the 2005 World Cup final at
9:00 p.m

Be sure to check out  www.usasoftball.com for complete results,
recapsand box scores of the II World Cup of Softball presentedKellogg’s
Frosted Flakes..

Holly Krivokapich

Assistant Director of Communications

ASA/USA Softball

405-425-3431

www.asasoftball.comwww.usasoftball.com

   fastball at pmihrm.com

2006 ISC World Tournament - Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.iscfastpitch.com/