Canada Defeated by the USA in Game Three of the XI ISF World Championships - women

Al's Fastball News fastball at pmihrm.com
Tue Aug 29 15:14:18 EDT 2006

From:  "Rick Picard" <rpicard(at)softball.ca>

Subject:  Softball Canada - Canada Defeated by the USA in Game
Three of the XI ISF World Championships

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 29, 2006

Canada Defeated by the USA in Game Three of the XI ISF World
Championships

(Beijing, China) - Canada was handed their first loss at the
XI ISF World Championships as they were shut out by the world
number one ranked USA 4-0.

Despite the loss, Canadian starter Robin Mackin (Newmarket, ON)
was impressive on the mound, holding the powerful USA offense
to only 2 runs through 5 innings, both runs coming on a two out
rally.  The USA put the game out of reach for Canada in the seventh
with a Jessica Mendoza lead off homerun giving the USA a 4-0
lead.

Melanie Matthews (Surrey, BC) kept her hitting streak alive with
her lead off single in the first inning.  Matthews has now recorded
hits in all three Canada games bringing her batting average to
0.750 (9 for 12).  Cindy Eadie (Brantford, ON) managed the only
other Team Canada hit with a second inning single.

Mackin was credited for the loss giving up 3 runs on 8 hits in
five and one third innings of work before being relived by Kaila
Holtz (North Vancouver, BC) who closed out the game for Canada.

"Team Canada came out prepared to play" stated Lori Sippel, Head
Coach of the Senior Women's National Team.  "Unfortunately we
ran into somebody named Cat Osterman.  She struck out eleven
of us so we only gave ourselves ten opportunities to score.
We never go into a game expecting to lose.  Our defense was solid,
pitching was solid, we were not able to press in the run department.”

The loss drops Canada's record to two wins and one loss in the
tournament.  Canada will look for a win in Wednesday's game as
they face DPR Korea (1-2).  For complete statistical information,
please visit www.softball.ca.  For further in depth coverage
of the USA game including pictures and video casts, please visit
www.2006softball.org.

-SC-

For more information, please contact

Rick Picard